Pages

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Making your own deli meat

Everything is going up in cost and food is no exception. Priced meat lately? Take a stab at making your own deli meat. Its easy to do, tastes great, your in control of the ingredients and if you find a nice piece at a reduced price cuz it's getting closer to the "sell-by" date, it's even more economical. Plus, it's fun.

First, the victim. A nice lean chunk of beef round bottom.


After a good rinse, I gave it a light coat in some EVOO and covered fresh dried ground rosemary, granulated garlic, CBP and onion powder. Equal amounts except for the CBP, a bit more of that.

All rubbed up.


In a foodsaver bag for an overnight nap. A large zip loc will work as well.


Just about to hit the smoker.
Smoked this one for 3 hours with a mix of Apple and Alder. That's all I had on hand
but would have like to use a nice aromatic Cherry.




Now here is the good part. I finished it in THE OVEN
Yeah that's right, I said it, the OVEN.
I used my Big Chief for this as I really just wanted to get a nice smoke on it. I actually planned on using the oven to finish. Now when it comes to slicing, you can't beat a good slicer. I use an old Rival chrome one that I won on a ebay auction. All steel gears and it doesn't bog down. A good quality "graton" style knife works good too.



Sliced up and packaged. Allot cheaper than store bought and it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment