Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Smoked leg of lamb, smoked over Lilac.

Today, I decided to smoke a leg of lamb that my buddy gave me. Never had lamb before and gotta say, its pretty darn good.

Anyhow, started with a small leg, around 4 pounds or so. The guy who processed this at the meat packing plant, I think he might have had the DT's. It was a little hacked up LOL.

Fillet the lamb leg the best I could after removal of the bone.


Rubbed it down with a mixture of grape seed oil and minced garlic, followed by a good sprinkling of black pepper and Thyme. Then laid in some fresh Basil along with some Feta cheese. There's actually more there than you can see. I made small slits here and there and inserted the cheese and Basil where I could.


Rolled it up tight with butcher's twine. It didn't look very good so I grabbed some netting and held it together with that. Gotta get me a horn stuffer. Hard to do that by hand.


Into the smoker. Smoked at 242 degrees using some chunks of Lilac wood until a internal temp of 162. Removed, triple foiled and wrapped in a towel and into a cooler where it sat for approx 3 hours till dinner.
Here it is after the rest period just prior to slicing.


Cut away view.


Took the resting juices and made a nice gravy with em and ladled it over the meat. Also made a Black rice risotto with Blackberry Mead in place of the dry white wine and mushrooms. Risotto was perfect up until the addition of the shrooms. I think they sucked up a bit of the liquid. A little bit of broccoli to boot. Washed it all down with a nice glass of Blackberry Mead.
Yeah my plated pics need work, but you get the idea


Thanks for lookin.
________________

No comments:

Post a Comment